Basic Life Support Annual Rolling Programme
This course will cover how to Complete an initial assessment of a deteriorating patient and re-assess regularly using the NEWS tool. Treat any life threating problems and be able to assess the effects of treatment as part of the ABCDE assessment and using the chain of survival. Be able to recognize a deteriorating patient, call for help and incorporate a defib as part of the patient’s clinical management. To be able to demonstrate the correct process for adult basic life support and understand the modifications in paediatric life support.
After attending this event participants will be able to:
- Understand current legislation and local resuscitation policies and procedures
- Understand individual role and responsibilities in responding to persons in an emergency situation
- Understand the importance of undertaking any resuscitation interventions within the limits of their personal capabilities and context of any previous training received
- Know how to summon immediate emergency help in accordance with local protocols
- Know how to recognise and respond to patients with clinical deterioration, escalating care in accordance with local policy
- Be able to initiate an appropriate emergency response in accordance with the Resuscitation Council (UK) guidelines including choking and the use of the recovery position
- Be able to provide basic airway management (i.e. ensure an open airway)
- Be able to recognise cardiorespiratory arrest
- Be able to initiate and maintain effective chest compressions and lung ventilations in accordance with the Resuscitation Council (UK) guidelines
- Know how to operate an automated external defibrillator (AED) safely and appropriately
- Understand individual responsibilities in reporting and recording details of an emergency event accurately
- Know how to apply the local Do Not Attempt Resuscitation Policy within a clinical context
Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians, providing enhanced services through community
pharmacy which require up-to-date Basic Life Support training.
Trainers: ECG Training
Format: Face to face training
COVID-19 and PPE:
- Attendees must adhere to social distancing measures as instructed by the venue and the trainer.
- Attendees must bring a mask and gloves to wear at the venue and during training.
- Attendees must wash their hands on arrival and during training as required.
- Attendees should bring their own notebook and pen.
- Attendees exhibiting symptoms typical of flu, a cold or have been in close contact with someone who has the COVID-19 infection should exclude themselves from the training and notify HEIW Pharmacy as soon as possible.
Pre-course preparation: Basic Life Support HEIW eLearning package and assessment.
Refreshments: Refreshments will not be provided during the training, please bring your own.
Registration closing date: One week before start date.