Alcohol misuse: support and advice from the pharmacy team
This distance learning pack on the topic of alcohol misuse has been developed as ‘blended’ learning. As you work through the pack you will need to access and work through the Department of Health’s e-learning programme ‘Alcohol Identification and Brief Advice’ (available online at www.alcohollearningcentre.org.uk/eLearning/IBA/platforms/ALC).
This pack will give you an overview of alcohol as a drug and its impact on physical and mental health. You will also have the chance to explore the contribution that the pharmacy team can make to the current health agenda focus on alcohol harm reduction.
On completion of all aspects of this programme you should be able to:
- Discuss the national strategies to tackle the rise of alcohol misuse
- Describe the concerns over alcohol misuse and the current extent of problems relating to alcohol
- Appreciate the impact of alcohol misuse on mental and physical health, personal relationships and the drug-specific issues Health and wider society
- Describe the available screening tools that can be used to identify people who may be at risk as a result of their alcohol intake
- Describe the key techniques needed to offer ‘brief advice’ in a pharmacy setting
- Appreciate the approach that a practitioner should adopt in order to best facilitate ‘brief advice’
- Discuss the requirements for setting up an ‘alcohol identification and brief advice’ service