The aim of this programme is to outline the background to and drug treatment of atrial fibrillation (AF) in primary care, highlighting the relevance to prescribing where appropriate.
On completion of this programme you should be able to:
- Define AF, discuss its prevalence and describe symptoms and complications of AF
- Outline the management objectives of AF
- Detail the treatment of permanent, persistent and paroxysmal AF
- Discuss drugs used in rate- and rhythm-control strategies
- Outline the choice of antithrombotic therapy in AF, including special consideration when prescribing