Choose pharmacy is the NWIS IT platform that underpins delivery of a number of community pharmacy services. This IT platform provides the basis to develop and expand on a range of services that can be carried out in community pharmacies. The IT platform:
- Creates NHS patient record which is transferable between NHS Wales community pharmacies.
- Links to the Welsh Demographic Service (WDS) – The master source of the NHS number for an individual. It provides demographic details for the patient as well as which GP, and which GP practice they are registered with. It also provides the facility to search for English residents via the link to the PDS Personal Demographic Service
- Links with the NWIS MTeD (Medicines Transcribing and e-Discharge) system which generates and electronic an electronic discharge advice letter (e-DAL). The e-DAL is then sent to the patient’s community pharmacy as soon as they leave the ward, via the Choose Pharmacy server enabling community pharmacists to access the electronic Discharge Advice letter to complete the Discharge Medicines Review service.
- Links to Welsh GP record (WGPR) enabling pharmacists to verify current prescribed medicines to improve patient safety. THE WGPR is a summary of important information taken from a patient’s full GP medical record. The record can be accessed by health professionals caring for a patient wherever the patient is in Wales. A patient will give consent for the healthcare professional to access their record every time it is needed, and every access to a WGPR is automatically monitored
Accessing Choose Pharmacy
To obtain access to the Choose Pharmacy application you must be allocated an NHS username and password. To do this you will need to:
- Complete the Choose Pharmacy Information Governance e-learning module and print your certificate of completion. Please note, once you have registered for access to this e-learning module it will be available via your Learning Dashboard.
- Have a valid WCPPE Safeguarding Children and Young People Level 2 certificate. You can register for access this module here if you have not submitted a valid certificate to NHS Shared Services within the last 3 years or access it via your Learning Dashboard if you have already completed it.
- Complete the Choose Pharmacy Pharmacist NADEX Listing Form & Acceptable Use Statement, that you can download by clicking here.
Once completed these forms need to be submitted to NWSSP via one of the methods below.
NWSSP – Primary Care Services
Floor 3, Matrix House
Swansea Enterprise Park