The aim of this programme is to review the implications of the Fourth Report of the Shipman Inquiry, focusing specifically on the prescribing, dispensing, safe custody and disposal of controlled drugs.
On completion of this programme you should be able to:
- Understand the legislation underpinning controlled drugs
- State changes in the legislative framework for controlled drugs arising from the Fourth Shipman Report
- Review the role and responsibilities of the Accountable Officer in relation to controlled drugs
- List the non-medical professions who may now prescribe
- Describe best practice with respect to writing of prescriptions, keeping of records and maintaining prescription security for controlled drugs in all areas of practice
- Define procedures for the disposal of returned controlled drugs