The aim of this programme is to examine the symptoms and causes presenting as dyspepsia, emphasising a cost-effective and evidence-based approach to treatment, using prescribed and non-prescription medication to ensure optimal outcomes.
Having completed this programme, you should be able to:
- Define dyspepsia and its variants
- Describe the symptoms associated with dyspepsia
- Develop a structured approach to managing dyspepsia in primary care
- Specify the alarm features that would prompt you to refer the patient for further investigation
- Assess patients taking NSAIDs for their risk of upper GI toxicity and requirement for GI protection
- Discuss methods available to diagnose dyspepsia and test for Helicobacter pylori