This programme will provide you with a basic understanding of a balanced diet and the nutritional needs of older people. It will cover the risk factors for developing malnutrition and ways to minimise this risk and treatment options.
After completing this programme you should be able to:
- Describe what constitutes a balanced diet and how the ‘Eatwell plate’ applies to older people
- Explain the nutritional needs of older people and the roles that each food type and fluid have
- Identify risk factors for malnutrition and ways to minimise risks (including drugs affecting appetite and taste)
- Describe ways to promote good nutrition among older people
- Discuss options for nutritional intervention