The aim of this programme is to enable you to provide evidence-based pharmaceutical care to patients diagnosed with depression and to know when and where to refer as appropriate.
Having completed this course you should be able to:
- Identify the major symptoms associated with depression in adults
- Advise on the treatment of depression in adults (NICE guideline) and of perinatal mood disorders (SIGN guideline)
- Take account of the non pharmacological management of depression in adults
- List the major categories of antidepressants and describe their mode of action and side effects
- Make recommendations for treating depression in older people and pregnant women