The overall aim of this programme is to provide an understanding of paediatric issues from pregnancy, birth to young adults. It provides information on pharmacokinetics, concordance, prescribing, licensing issues, information sources, childhood issues as well as common conditions of the young. It covers children’s constipation, diarrhoea, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, pain, childhood infections, metabolic disorders, adverse drug reactions and nutrition.
On completion of all aspects of this programme you should be able to:
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the effects on drug handling, prescribing and daily living with respect to childhood developments
- Apply knowledge of the effects of drugs in pregnancy and during breastfeeding and how this impacts on antenatal and neonatal care
- Obtain the relevant background information relating to paediatric medicines information enquires
- Deal appropriately with prevalent diseases and problems with prescribing medication in children
- Identify risk issues within paediatric pharmaceutical care
- Take a holistic approach to pharmaceutical care of paediatric patients