This open learning programme looks at palliative care, how to support patients, the gold standard pathways and practical hints to meet the needs of this patient group.
On completion of all aspects of this programme you should be able to:
- Define palliative care
- Appreciate the patient and the carer’s points of view of palliative care
- State the main symptoms experienced by patients in the palliative phase of an illness
- List and describe the treatments for the ‘non-pain’ symptoms encountered in palliative care
- Outline the pharmaceutical care issues relevant to the management of patients with pain, using the principles of the WHO analgesic ladder
- Describe the main palliative care models of co-ordinated care