This course will provide participants with the interpersonal skills to support patients to give up smoking and is part of the accreditation to provide an enhanced Stop Smoking – Level 3 pharmacy service.
After the study evening participants will be able to:
- Conduct an initial assessment to determine the patient’s readiness to stop smoking.
- Use motivational interviewing techniques to assist clients in their attempt to stop smoking.
- Apply appropriate treatment and monitoring strategies within the enhanced service programme to continued support and advise clients through their stop smoking journey.
- Define how combination NRT can be used to improve the chances of a successful quit attempt.
- Use carbon monoxide monitoring to support a stop smoking attempt.
- Run the Level 3 Stop Smoking Service and complete all necessary paperwork.
- Identify clients who need referring, then refer following the local referral pathway.
Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians who wish to run the Level 3 Stop Smoking National Enhanced Service from their pharmacies. This course may be particularly useful for pre-registration trainee pharmacists working in the community. (This course is included in the WCPPE pre-registration course for hospital and community trainees).
Please note that in some Health Board areas, pharmacists and their staff need to agree delivery of this service with their Health Board. Please check with your local Health Board prior to booking on this course.
WCPPE Regional Co-ordinators
Representatives from Public Health Wales
Representatives from Local Health Board
Lecture and interactive case based discussion.
Detailed underpinning knowledge to support this service is available in our e-Learning module ‘Stop Smoking’ and is NOT covered on this course, however there will be a short session during the course to provide a refresher on product knowledge.
Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians wishing to offer this service from their pharmacy are also required to have successfully completed the online enhanced services assessment ‘Stop Smoking Level 3’ located at www.wcppe.org.uk